Guilford Art Center Pottery Residency Program
Guilford Art Center supports a pottery residency program for emerging artists. The residency is one year long, beginning September 2018. The position will provide opportunities, in the form of working time and space, for artists to develop their own ceramic art while contributing to the workings of a communal pottery studio in an educational environment.
The resident will be responsible for monitoring of open studio practice times, including interacting with, inspiring, and assisting students. The studio runs year-round on a 4-semester basis, offering classes and workshops for students and enthusiasts of all levels. There are also opportunities to learn about technical aspects of the studio, including firings and glaze mixing, if the resident so wishes.
- One year residency with access to all aspects of studio
- Communal studio space and storage shelves
- Free firings
- Exhibition at end of residency
- Possibility of selling works in GAC Shop
- Possibility of teaching a youth pottery class
- One year commitment
- Monitoring of open studio practice times, with an emphasis on interacting with, inspiring and assisting students, 12-15 hours per week, at specific times, weekdays and weekends
- Assistance with glaze upkeep, studio organization, some studio tasks, as needed
About the Studio:
GAC’s ceramics studio offers 7 adult classes, children’s after-school classes, Home School pottery, and weekend workshops every semester; during the summer, we offer 9 weeks of clay and mixed media classes for children. Day and evening classes are scheduled Monday through Friday; practice sessions are generally offered on weekday afternoons and one weekend day. The studio is equipped with 12 wheels, a hand building table, 3 electric kilns, slab roller, extruder, outdoor downdraft gas kiln, raku kiln, and a glaze mixing room. We offer 4 clay bodies: white stoneware, brown stoneware, porcelain and red earthenware. There is a large selection of high and low temperature glazes, slips and washes for both high and low temperature firings.
Interested applicants should email the following to email@example.com:
- Statement of interest in the residency position
- Names and contact information of two references
- 5-10 digital images of work
Applications will be considered until the position is filled.