GUILFORD ART CENTER is a non-profit organization that inspires and promotes community participation in the visual arts through education, exhibitions, and outreach.
As a comprehensive and inclusive community environment for arts education and appreciation on the shoreline and in greater Connecticut, Guilford Art Center believes in and provides:
- Public participation in the arts
- Classes and workshops in the visual arts in a wide range of media, with quality instruction, and a collaborative, supportive, and inclusive environment for people of all ages, abilities and skill levels
- Preservation of craft traditions and encouragement of innovation
- Support of American art and artists through our Gallery exhibitions of contemporary art and our Shop of unique works by local and nationally-recognized artisans
- Events for the community that creatively engage and inspire
- Arts education to help to develop critical thinking skills, visualization of complex ideas, holistic problem-solving, creative thinking, and opportunities for mindfulness, which are all essential in today’s global world
The School annually serves over 2,000 students, from preschool-aged through senior citizens, in four semesters of approximately 400 classes annually, including ceramics, jewelry, metalsmithing, weaving, glass, drawing and painting, blacksmithing, and stone carving. Tuition assistance is available to help insure that the Center’s programs are accessible for students of all means.
The Gallery presents juried and invitational exhibits of contemporary American art in all media and is open and free to the community.
The Shop, open year-round, features fine handcrafts made by American artisans. An annual highlight is the Artistry Holiday Sale, when the Shop doubles in size and includes works by more than 200 artisans.
Craft Expo, held on the Guilford Green each July, features works by more than 180 of the country’s most distinguished artisans. As a celebration of the arts and a signature happening for the town of Guilford and the Connecticut shoreline, Craft Expo is a must-see summer event, considered one of the top craft shows in New England and the country.